Sunday 18 March 2012

Inverness Half Marathon - Food Poisoning, New Trainers and Nights Out


Mon 29th Feb: Arrgghh - I feel like death warmed up. Terrible food poisoning and swollen throat. Already had a terrible month of running because of work and birthday events etc and now this!!
Tues 28th Feb: New Adidas Adios Bostons just arrived in the post. Been waiting months as didnt have size 12 but now I am too weak to stand in them thanks to food poisoning!!!  Should be fast once I am back fit...hopefully try them in anger at Inverness Half soon.
Thurs 1st Mar: Started to eat (well soup) and take on a lot of fluids today, lost half a stone after three days of no food though! So time to try out the new Bostons - a miracle....I managed my second fastest 5km run this year and that was on slow loop round my house. It must be the trainers as I am as weak as a kitten.
Fri 2nd Mar: My new Brooks Cascadia arrived today. Hopefully a good comprise between a road shoe and the my big nobbly Salomon trail / fell shoes. Should be good for hard pack trails. That makes up this years trio of trainers.
Sat 3rd Mar: I will say it again my new Adidas Adios Bostons are amazing, so light, feel like gloves, fast gripping soles and just a little cushioning.  Managed a 19:29 5km at ParkRun which is my second fastest ever (fast for me anyway) - very happy after a week of food poisoning etc! It is all the shoes!!!
Fri 10th Mar: Still not a 100% after illness the week before and only managed a few 5 mile runs. So decide I will only go along for a couple of social drinks at my mates leaving drinks a quickly home....that was the plan anyway. Stick to a few whiskies as beer doesn't agree with me anymore, that plan worked but a bit too well.........5 hours and a lot of whisky later then I remember I have a half marathon on Sunday - idiot!!!
Sat 12th Mar: Whisky works, no hangover and the legs still work. Bit tired but a gentle run out at ParkRun for the first time with my son Lachlan lifted the spirits. He did 31 mins which is a good start for an eight year old.
Sun 11th Mar: A nice trip up to Inverness Half Marathon with Andy Kerr. I was optmistic of a good time close to my previous PB of 01:36:15 as in my bag the newly purchased Adidas Addios Bostons. Which had proofed very fast on the few runs I had then out so far. These are wonderful neon speed demons, that fit like a glove and are very light weight - bit worried about the reduced cushioning over a longer distance.
So as usually I started off fast, my mind set was to use it as a training event and see how long I can sustain 7 minute sub miles for. Assuming I would blow-up at some point I went for it. As I guessed it was quite flat and a decent climb from 3.5 to 6 miles - this is were my trail running and mountain ultras help as I could streak past people not breaking my tempo. So the miles kept coming and I didn't blow up - at 11 miles I saw my first sub 01:30 on the cards. However after a couple tight turns over a bridge, my legs seemed to say no and I could get maintain the 06:30 pace I need. In the end gutted to finish on 01:30:46 but very happy with new PB and the performance of the new Bostons, my feet have never felt better after a race. The Shoes Work

No comments:

Post a Comment